Saturday, August 11, 2012

Baby $ Savers, part 1.

I am the mother of three children; ages 4, 2 & 8 mos.  I am on this adventure called motherhood with a yearly salary of $15,000.  Yep.  I am always looking for ways to save money.   One good way I have found is by using cloth diapers.  I never thought in a million years that I would be a cloth diaperer.  But here I am, 6 mos in and still loving it.  I love that I never have to worry about running out of diapers at home (unless I don't keep up on laundry), I love that my kids no longer develop diaper rash.  I love that spending the relatively small price of $200, gets me through at least 2 kids in diapers and would more, if we were to have more.  I mean these diapers last like clothing does, well duh they are clothing, a one time purchase will last through all of the kids you will have.  The hippy in me loves that I am not contributing to land fill waste.  The materialist in me loves how cute they are and that they can always match my kids outfits.  And I love not having to buy those outrageously priced disposable diapers and swim diapers...bc I can just use the shell of my pocket diapers as a swim diaper.  So what kind of cd's (cloth diapers) do I use?  I use one-size (as in they fit babies and toddlers from 7 lbs up to 35 lbs), pocket diapers.  Pocket diapers have, umm a pocket, that you slide an insert (think of a semi-thick cloth maxipad) into.  And mine came with 2 inserts for every diaper so I can put one in the pocket & and one between baby and diaper for extra absorbancy.  Mine are Kawaii Baby brand diapers and I highly recommend this brand as they are cheap in price and high on quality!  And while cd's are very easy on the pocketbook, they are highly addictive and while I don't need any more in my stash to diaper my kids, I find myself online window shopping ALL OF THE TIME.  I also daydream of making my own, but I know that will never happen.   So I just daydream.  Most of all, I love the money I am saving.  A big box of 70 disposable diapers is $20.  And that case of diapers will last maybe 2 weeks at my house...maybe.  So say I would be spending $40/month on diapers...in 5 mos I have spent the money that I spent on my entire stash of cd's.  I really can not give cd's enough praise.  Seriously, give them a try...you won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment